Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Living Fully, Dying Well - Bastian and Staley

I'm reading the above mentioned title right now. Some wonderful thoughts in it so far. My own daily work in oncology invites me to sit beside the big pink elephant in the room. I would have to say after twenty-one years of doing this, death is a familiar friend. Yes, I said friend. Death and dying have taught me so much about living. I'm sure that is an over used statement but it is so true. I know my daily life outside of my work is different because of it.

I wonder if we could create a draft board agency that required a two year hitch in working with the dying instead of working with weapons? Maybe the world would be a better place.

Be Intimate with life today

Alan

No comments: