Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, August 22, 2009

NOTHING BETWEEN MAKES ONE


"Fayan was going on pilgrimage. Dizang said, "Where are you going?" Fayan said, "Around on pilgrimage." Dizang said, "What is the purpose of pilgrimage?" Fayan said: "I don't know." Dizang said, "Not knowing is most intimate."


I had a chance to do a didactic with some chaplain interns this week. I used this little zen story for the teaching tool. I thought it went really well. It was my first time to use Buddhist literature to teach a group of Christian pastoral caregivers.


I find this story most appropriate. When one goes into a hospital room where there is a health crisis, having a "not knowing" mind is profound freedom. I talked about how "having an agenda" is like putting up a wall between what you think is the reality and what actually is. And removing that wall with "not knowing" is the path to being intimate with just what is.


Again, I think this is a wonderful teaching story for pastoral care.


The two become one. Most intimate!


Be intimate with life today,


Alan

No comments: