Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Friday, September 18, 2009

alan faulkner to Dosho
show details 12:28 PM (16 hours ago)

Basho speaks to this fanning thing...
\Monk: what is the essence of your practice?

Basho: Whatever is needed…

Speaking of "Fanning":
Here's a thought...I turn my thermostat down to 71 every night before I go to bed and that air reaches me but I still have a big fan blowing in the room, across the bed. That's just what I need for that time.


But one thing that comes to mind as I read the words of the teacher here..."although you understand that the nature of the wind is permanent, "Mayu replied," you do not understand the meaning of its reaching everywhere."

Hey, the dharma may reach everywhere, God's presence may be in all things, but it is awareness of this reaching that makes the difference and that awareness comes from paying attention, from being intimate with all that we do...I just have trouble putting form to this intimacy. Bowing does seem to help in some way for me....it seems to say I accept things as they are...I let things be what they will be...it is then that I experience them intimately...


Connecting zazen, fanning, study....do what needs to be done at the time and do it wholeheartedly, intimately....

I'm just writing here...letting it roll...to see what happens....

Bowing....intimacy....those two things continue to be important hooks for me right now in my life...and intimacy has always been there in my theological journey....

What seeing would I express by bowing....that life is contingent...that what we do in this very moment really matters because of this contingency....and  letting things be what they are and bowing to that....

All this stuff is still confusing to me but I will continue to light my incense, light my candle, ring my bell and sit...read my books, listen to your teaching and live this awesome wonderful life that has been given..

.Deep bows.
Alan

No comments: