Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Work Practice


That little fellow in the center there is a 20 watt halogen bulb. My work practice for the day.
I have these recess lights under my kitchen cabinets to light up the area where I do a lot of slicing, dicing and chopping.
Well there is birth and there is death! They all three died this past week.

This morning was the time to replace them. No big deal! Well, except for those of us who are "handyman/woman challenged! Where is my son the engineer when I need him?!
I decided to be very mindful about this. Yes, I have to decide to be mindful! Went to the store. Had the clerk pick out the right size bulb and came home and began my project. Now I know some of you out there would not call this a project but for me it is a project! Anything that involves a screw driver or pair of long nose is a major project for me! Oh, did I tell you I had to go back to the store twice because the clerk gave me the wrong size bulb. I picked out the bulb myself on the last trip.
Yes, I got it right.


So what does this have to do with bowing, fanning, Heart Sutra, and the Genjokoan?
I'm not real sure to be honest with you. But I do know that during this entire work practice I experienced an intimacy with all that was going on...bowing in my heart and mind, letting the three trips to the store, be the three trips to the store, letting the wrong size bulb be the wrong size bulb.
I just did what needed to be done and guess what?

The project is done and the lights have arisen again!

Deep Bows,
Alan
Posted by Picasa

No comments: