Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Opening Up!

    Moving Forward

    The deep parts of my life pour onward, as if the river shores were opening out. It seems that things are more like me now, that I can see farther into paintings. I feel closer to what language can't reach. With my sense, as with birds, I climb into the windy heaven, out of the oak, and in the ponds broken off from the sky my feeling sinks, as if standing on fishes.Rainer Maria Rilke, translated by Robert Bly
This just kind of arrested my mind this morning. 


There is a part of me just opening out these days as I move towards the beginning of my sixth decade of life. My favorite line in this is "...things are more like me now..." I'm not sure how Rilke meant it to be but that doesn't matter. What matters is what it meant to me in this moment. 


Things are more like me now because I choose to risk just being me always, in all circumstances now and that feels open, feels freeing, feels right.


Maybe, just maybe if we become really intentional in living this life, our lives do "pour onward" and "open up".


 How sad the life that just shuts down. How sad the life that becomes closed off. That would be stagnant water, would it not?



How sad the life that stays on the surface and never reaches the "the deeper parts of my life."


Today I give thanks that I am willing to take the risk of overflowing, of opening up, to being able to say "I don't Know." 


Today I bow to the mystery which Rilke speaks of here:

I feel closer to what language can't reach.



Gassho to my friend Rilke,



Alan




1 comment:

BuddhaFrog said...

Thanks for this post, Alan. Very inspiring.
Gassho,
Glenda