Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, November 1, 2009

WHERE EVERYBODY KNOWS YOUR NAME...COMFORTABLE PLACE...CHEERS!



That's a spatchcock chicken in the oven with baked sweet potatoes on the bottom there. We will be having that with some homemade cole slaw and yeast rolls. Pecan pie for dessert. No, I want mess this one up. I've done this too many times. On top of those sweet potatoes will go some brown sugar, butter and rosemary...something from the Pioneer Woman...I may have mentioned that before.

There nothing pushing me to the edge with this meal. That's comfortable but at the same time I'm not sure that comfortable is always the best place to be. It reminds me of the story from the Gateless Gate by Mumon...I think I spelled that correctly. Anyway, it goes like this:


Sekiso Osho asked, "How can you proceed on further from the top of a hundred-foot pole?"
Another eminent teacher of old said, "You, who sit on the top of a hundred-foot pole, although you have entered the Way you are not yet genuine. Proceed on from the top of the pole, and you will show your whole body in the ten directions."

Don't ask me what that really means but I think it has to do with feeling comfortable and thinking you have "arrived"...As I think about our study this past week it may be talking about going beyond...who knows...I will just continue to sit.


Anyway, I did not jump off any flag poles today...I did yesterday with the polenta...you saw what happened there... Oh well...

Bows to the saints,

Alan


Posted by Picasa

No comments: