Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Exscuse me, but I need to go sit!



Dosho Port, at Wild Fox Zen , states:


In order to have any semblance of balance, a student needs a lot of zazen. A lot, you hear me? "Oh, it isn't the quantity but the quality," you might say.

And I'd say, oh, stop it. Enough eel wriggling psychobabble, avoiding the cushion. If you don't want to sit, don't do it but don't spew vomit on others.
Not a lot to reflect upon here. I'll just SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!

Thanks Dosho!

Bows,

Alan


1 comment:

Annotated Margins said...

On the day that my teacher was to move temporarily into my house, he called from the airport, headed to an overseas monastery. During our phone conversation, he said, “If you can’t be still, then don’t be still at all.” It was the last thing he ever spoke to me. He has not returned, and perhaps never will. I am always grateful for his presence in my life.

My teacher had many students. I was his first disciple, and for the rest of our lives I suspect he and I will explore all the different ways to be still and to not be still.