Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Holiday? Holy-day? Everyday!



Etymology

]Holiday

Holiday originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days off work or school. The word derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.


Sitting here this morning with my daughter and her husband, my wife, my son (still upstairs sleeping). Just enjoying the simple fact of being together. Holidays allow for such moments, if you are lucky. These days seem so special and truth be known, a little magical.


When it's all over, the contrast can be emotionally challenging for some. This is where my practice becomes such a significant part of my life. It is here that I am reminded that my life is my practice.
Would I be right to say that when we actualize the fundamental point, everyday is a holiday, every moment is a holimoment (yes, I made that word up)?
So I wish for you, your life to be a holiday!
As a footnote, I think I should say that each moment is not necessarily a happy moment but each moment is a meaningful moment, if we pay attention.

Monk: what is the essence of your practice?
Basho: Whatever is needed…
--Basho

Happy Holimoments and Holidays!
Alan




1 comment:

Tallis Grayson said...

What a lovely (and meaningful) thought! Happy Holidays to you too Alan.