Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Wonderful Monk Day!



It has been foggy, wet and cold all day. Of course cold down here where I live is 40's. I love days like this. I call them "monk days". They seem to bring out the contemplative spirit in me. Days like this make me wish I had a small hermitage up in the mountains somewhere.
Truth is, I do have a hermitage deep inside me. There is a quiet, still place in there that continues to grow. I am grateful for that.
Now you would think a man would have a big pot of beef stew cooking on a day like this. Nope! I have a big pot of fresh turnip greens cooking and some sweet potatoes in the oven. I will also make some good cornbread muffins to go with that.

I am just grateful today. Grateful for my life, for my marriage, for my kids, for my vocation, for my spiritual practice, for those turnip greens and sweet potatoes.
Heck, I just feel at peace right now.
Just this, this moment, this moment, this moment, this moment...just this moment!

Have a good monk day!

Alan
Posted by Picasa

No comments: