Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Looking thru Lentils



It's always recommended that you wash your lentils and look for "foreign" objects before you begin to cook. Chomping down on a nice solid little pebble is not good for these sixty year old teeth. As you can see, not so easy to distinguish the bean from the little pebble that may be hiding in there. I didn't find one in these.

It's actually fun looking for those little pebbles. It's rare that I find one but it always feels so satisfying to find one of those little rascals. Truth is, if I don't find one, it kind of leaves me with an empty feeling, like I haven't accomplished the task at hand.

My Zen is like that sometimes. I feel like I am supposed to find something and when I don't, I feel like the task is not complete. But you know, if I am always looking for that little pebble maybe I'm missing the beauty of the lentil right in front of my eyes.

Maybe that is it. Maybe it is about REALLY SEEING what is right there in front of you. Maybe I don't have to LOOK for IT, maybe I just need to SEE what is there.

Now aren't those lentils beautiful?! Pebbles and all!

Bows,

Alan
Posted by Picasa

No comments: