Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, January 3, 2010


This was my food offering for last night, split-pea soup with ham. I forgot to photograph the ham. A hardy little simple meal, as  a reward for a hard days work.
This soup with a little crusty bread, yeah!

We spent most of the day taking down all of the holiday decorations. Actually my wife spent the whole day doing this. She really can get things done! I did my part, but not as much as she did.
The house is now back to its ordinary state. We just moved into this townhouse a little over two years ago. After everything was done (taking down all the festive symbols of the holidays), I commented to my wife, "You know, this home still looks nice and cozy even with all the decorations down." And it does. It has a very welcoming personality. I think it invites intimacy among people.

Not unlike bringing the house back to it's ordinary place, this spiritual journey we are on is about stripping away all the conditioning that we have accumulated over the years and getting back to our ordinary selves.

We might be surprised to find out just how warm and welcoming that ordinary self can be.

Of course getting there takes work, probably longer than the one day it took us to bring this house back to order.

But hey, then you can sit down with those you love and have a nice warm bowl of soup and celebrate the simple goodness of this life and your own.

I've never been too big on that original sin thing anyway!

Welcome home,

Alan
Posted by Picasa

No comments: