Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Parking Spaces and Actualizing the Fundamental Point


Overcome your uncertainties 
And free yourself
From dwelling on sorrow.
If you delight in existence,
You will become a guide
To those who need you,
Revealing the path to many. 
- Sutta Nip

Thanks to Daily Zen for the above quote.

"If you delight in existence, you will become a guide to those who need you, revealing the path to many"

I don't know about my ability to reveal the path to many but I did have an experience of just delighting in existence yesterday. 
I'm here in Nashville , TN, visiting my daughter and son-in-law. Yesterday we all went to buy some cowboy boots in downtown Nashville and then my wife and daughter needed to run by the mall. As  long as I can remember, they have always needed to "run by the mall". Anyway, we drove to the mall and the traffic was ridiculous. After about 15 minutes of looking for a parking space I suggested they just get out of the car and I would catch up with them as soon as I found a parking space. That never happened! 

The whole time they were in the mall, I just drove around leisurely, listening to some jazz. I made a conscious decision to just relax, cruise the parking lot and listen to music. I was delighting in existence.

That conscious decision shifted that whole experience for me, unlike all the others I saw, competing to position themselves to get that elusive parking space.

Was I a guide, revealing to many the path to the empty space? Well, no, but in some way, maybe I was a guide.

Bows,

Alan


1 comment:

Barry said...

Great story, Alan. I can totally relate to cruising the mall lot without attachment. "Drives" my wife crazy!

Barry