Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Friday, April 9, 2010

FALSE! TRUTH IS HERE, NOT THERE!

SO THIS THOUGHT CAME TO ME THIS MORNING:
The only truth I can know is the truth I experience. Any other truths I am told about, I can only believe.
What this says to me as far as practice goes is that I must "practice", not just on the cushion but it all that I do, I must do it with (as Dosho has shown us in his last post at Wildfox Zen) Conviction. Still not sure how that looks, feels, taste except it leans towards the intimacy thing again.

But conviction defined is "firmly held belief without evidence or proof"...being "firmly held" leads to attachment, which leads to closed mindedness, which leads to, well wars and bunch of other stuff. I know, it can also lead to the TRUTH.

So how does one stay convicted and open at the same time? Of course, not sure I am understanding all that is stated in Dosho's most recent post but definitely has me thinking and that's good, well to some extent.

Here's a thought.
What is it that arises just before conviction that cause me to incarnate conviction - sitting, reading, paying attention to what is before me and all those other "zen" things...

I want to say that what arises is Desire. And this desire arises out of unsatisfactoriness and...ah yes...the wheel of the dharma is turned.

So what is the TRUTH?


I just want to be convicted enough to have the desire to sit until I have penetrated deep enough to have the experience of truth.

Bows,
Alan

1 comment:

Annotated Margins said...

I like the idea that I'll know the truth when I do.