Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, April 18, 2010

A true person of no rank!




The True Person of No Rank
The Koan:

There is a true person of no rank who is constantly coming and going from the portals of your face. Who is that true person of no rank?


(Thanks to John Tarrant for the quote @ ZENOSAURUS)


Another one of the gifts of my work is that I meet people at a time in their lives when titles (rank) don't  play a role in the outcome of what is before them. 


I like to call our chemotherapy room the "the great equalizer". I have seen people befriend one another in that room who would have never considered such a friendship in their day to day lives...that place where rank, titles, education ,etc,  seem to dictate for so many of us who it is we befriend and hang out with.


At the same time, I have to be conscious of my own prejudices in that situation. It is much more interesting  for me, at times, to engage  the person who can engage in a more sophisticated kind of conversation than the the person who can't. That is the place where I am getting my needs met and not attending to what is needed in the moment for any given person.


"Sentient being are numberless, I vow to save them all!"


Every person is a true person of no rank. That is reality!


When I let my true person meet their true person...ALL IS ONE!


May we all be willing to be true persons with each other. From that place compassion flows in and out, to and fro, given and received.


A Monk of no rank, in the world,


Alan



No comments: