Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cuban Fare - ACTUALIZED/INCARNATED


OK, I don't know, maybe I am being used as a channel for some ancient Cuban. That's OK! Anyway, this morning I decided to look up on the web what some of the common spices in Cuban foods might be. One article spoke of something that is called SOFRITO, a mixture of sauteed veggies, usually onions, garlic, green peppers. The Cuban version adds oregano. What I have here is garlic, oregano, black pepper corns, Italian tomatoes, green peppers, jalapeno, and chicken thighs. The thighs are bone-in, skinless.
So I have thrown all this together and also added one sliced Bartlett pear. Now I am just letting it stew until the eschaton and then I will put it over some brown rice.
I'll probably take a pic of it at completion and let you take a peek.
That's the food practice for today.


So I have been reading a book Dosho recommended to me, NOVICE TO MASTER, An Ongoing Lesson in the Extent of My own Stupidity by Soko Morinaga.
One encounter he has with a young man about religion leads to the following statement by Soko:
"Information collected on the subject of religion is worthless. Religion is, to the very end, something you must verify for yourself through actual practice.
Many people are willing to learn techniques that help them live their lives. But the person who seeks to confirm their life at its roots by reaching beyond technique to the fundamentals-to true religion-is exceedingly rare. I find this state of affairs most regrettable. That is why I can't help but urge you to refrain from evaluating your daily life on the basis of what you think you know, on the basis of collected data. I want you to awaken to everything and to seek the true way of living. But make no mistake: Whether you remain in the category of a dissatisfied person or become an awakened (human) is solely up to you, dependent solely upon your  own actual doing."
Pgs. 115-116
In the Christian tradition I think they would call this INCARNATING and in the Buddhist tradition I think this is what is mean't by ACTUALIZING.

So what is MU?

Well, until I can actually SHOW YOU, doesn't do me much good to just talk about !

So I will sit down and shut up!!!!!!!!!!

Bows,

Alan



Posted by Picasa

No comments: