Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, June 19, 2010

ROAD TRIP Towards Being Human

My wife and I have been on a road trip since Thursday. We traveled from Evans, Ga. to Atlanta to pick up my son Jason. We then headed to Nashville, TN to spend the night with my daughter Katie and her husband. On Friday morning I, my wife and son headed for Belleville, Illinois to be present at an engagement party being given by my son's future in-laws, Ed and Allyson.

So here I am this morning, having my coffee here at their beautiful home and thinking about what all this means.
Well, one thing it means is that we are all (both sides of the families) bringing new teachers into our lives, new teachers to help us  continue our road trip towards this thing we call "being human".

This statement of "being human" or is it "becoming human" has come up several times recently for me. And I have noticed myself using it in conversations.

One of the beautiful and graceful things about nature is that it is what it is without striving. Don't misunderstand what I mean here. I know quite often nature strives to survive and strives to be fruitful. But when a tree is a tree, it is already a tree. It does not have to work on becoming a tree. It may have to twist and turn to find the light of the sun to continue to be a tree in it's present form, but it has always been a tree.

Being human is a whole other journey, a long road trip. The sad thing is that it may take a life time to become human and then we die. That's why maps are important. You at least need to know where you are, even if you don't know where you are going.
May Zen practice is my map.

My son and his soon to be wife, Anne, are beginning a long road trip towards there becoming human towards each other. I certainly wish them well. And I certainly wish them the grace of patience as they strive to become who they are, side by side in this journey.


Let me respectfully remind you
Life and death are of supreme importance
Don't squander your life
Take heed,
Strive to awaken

And may I say, strive to awaken now, not at the moment of death


And another human will be born into this world.

Deep Bows to my new teachers,

Alan

No comments: