Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, July 17, 2010

It's summer, It's the South, It's local, It's just down right good!!!


Cooking practice.
I had thought about trying the homemade pizza dough recipe I saw at the food blog theshoeboxkitchen.com (by the way, check it out. Some great recipes and great photography.) but it is summer in the south and I really am a home grown southern boy. Here's the thing. I can't pass up fresh butter beans, zipper peas, sweet white corn, okra, ripe tomatoes and hot peppers. Friends this stuff will make you slap your great grandmother when you set it along side some homemade buttermilk cornbread. Trust me. I was raised in Georgia. I know what I am talking about!
So after sitting this morning and working out I headed out to Cook's in Johnston, SC. About a 25-30 mile click from the house here. These folks have been doing this for fifty years in the spot you see above in the picture. If I knew how to post more than one picture at a time I would show you some more food fare with this post. But I will put some more pics up in a bit.
So anyway, this has been my monk day so far. More to come as the cooking takes shape. Need to go sit now.

May your garden go well,

Alan
Posted by Picasa

No comments: