Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

WHY?


Barry, over at Ox Herding, caught my attention this morning.
Barry says:
Why do we practice?
When I ask myself this question, my mind usually generates a "gaining idea," something along the lines of getting into the moment, becoming a better person or attaining enlightenment.  Barry Briggs


Again, I am thrown back into Mary Oliver's Summer Day.


...I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
 

Well, dear Mary and Barry,
I plan to continue to do this thing I do, even with my grasping mind.

Bows,
Alan

1 comment:

Barry said...

Thanks for the post, Alan.

Really, there's no way to practice except with the mind that we have. What a relief to settle into that truth!