Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Excitement of Zazen


I have had family members ask me about why I do zazen . Not exactly that question but it would certainly eventually lead to this basic practice of zazen. Sometimes I wonder why I do zazen!

I would love to tell them that it is very exciting and they should try it, but does the above picture of the wall I stare at every morning for about 25-30 minutes look that exciting to you? The truth is I have great faith and great doubt! What does that mean? I don't know really but it keeps me staring at that wall every morning.

The secret of this is that there is an ox on that wall somewhere and I just keep messing with him and he keeps messing with me.

One day I will just get up from that place and go to work and think nothing about all this. I will just live my life just like it is.

Just this!

Bows,

Alan

3 comments:

Annotated Margins said...

And then, after we gotten up from that place, gone to work and thought nothing about all this, we'll live our lives just like this, and then we'll sit zazen.

Monkintheworld said...

Exactly.

Daigu said...

There is an excitment even there, in front of that wall. It shows up, not every day, but once in a while: a feeling of pride, for being a part of this great tradition; this wonderfully simple, down-to-earth practice filled with precision.
Usually the everyday aspects of sitting takes care of this pride, grounds me, and shows me not to think it's anything special - just sitting. But sometimes I worry, that it's going to sidetrack me, and lead me away from zazen. You know, that ox can be sneaky.