Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Knowing with Your Body

I am presently reading ZEN TRAINING,methods and philosophy by Katsuki Sekida.

He says:
To look at oneself and the objects of the external world in the context of pure existence is kensho, or realization. And this has been achieved, since Buddha himself did so, by men and women of every generation, who bear witness to its feasibility.

The experience, as we have stressed, is attained by the training of the body and mind. Reason comes later and illuminates the experience, and thus the two wheels of the cart of cognition are completed.
pg. 30-31
What does it mean to "know" with your body?  Does it mean the body knows before the mind understands?


I had an experience with a patient this week that had everything to do with the body, in some sense. The patient was in the chemo room crying, while talking to the nurse during evaluation. I went over and sat beside the patient. We talked a bit and I recognized it would be better for the patient to have this conversation in my office. My sense was that there needed to be some kind of emotional release that was being inhibited in this public space. We went to my office and I put my arms around the patient and said, "just cry." The patient embraced me and cried deep cries for about five minutes. This whole experience was body! No words, no thoughts. Just deep heaving, crying and tears. This was a knowing with your body in that moment.

Was this an experience of "actualizing the fundamental point?"

Bows,
Alan

No comments: