Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Spiritual Muscles

I recently started changing some of my exercise routine. "They" say this shocks the body and can get it jump started to the next plateau. At sixty, I'm just happy to be on a plateau, truth be known. Anyway, I switched up a little - walking, riding a stationary bike, elliptical all in one week. I usually just put in about five or six miles on the elliptical about five days a week. I actually felt some soreness in some muscles from this adventure, proving that I was challenging my body in some new ways.

I also changed my sitting schedule, thinking I need to jump start that in some new way. I went the whole week without sitting and just did some reading of some historical fiction. I had a friend who told me this week that my reading was too skewed. I had to agree with him on that. Since I had my new kindle, I decided to take his challenge and read outside the Zen box.

I want to thank my friend for the challenge. I have been lost in that book this week and learned some very interesting history about our country. You might say that I am a little more enlightened than I was last week.

I truly believe that Zazen is the most important practice I can do in this path that I am on. But if I become dogmatic about that, I forget about the myriad things.

 °
To study the Buddha way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drop away. No trace of realization remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly.
                                                Dogen - Genjokoan

I say all this to say that this week was a good week of practice.

9 Bows to the myriad things,

Alan

 

2 comments:

woodcutter said...

Nice observations. Well done!

Annotated Margins said...

Nine bows to your practice.