Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Let Me (AGAIN) Respectfully Remind You!

One of my wife's students (15 year old boy) died last night after battling some kind of acute hematology event over the last three days. Again we are all reminded that death is no respecter of person, age, economic class, faith or any other discriminating factor that you can throw into the mix. My wife will have to return to school on Monday and face seventh, eighth and ninth graders, probably with a lot of questions. She teaches at a very conservative Christian School. There were a lot of prayers going up for this young boy over the last three or four days. I hope this becomes a growing experience for all concerned and not something that is just tucked away with a lot of hackneyed Christian phrases, burying the pain of loss in this situation.

We (as a family) have spent the last four weeks celebrating the new life of our first grandchild. This new life that we have will some day lose it's life, hopefully many, many, many years from now. But death will come to her, to her mother and to her father. Nothing is permanent. And of course to the one who is writing these words. None of us probably want to think about that! But it would seem to me it should be "thought" about! Does it seem morbid to contemplate the death of my granddaughter? I don't think so. I think it causes me to appreciate this very precious life that has be given in ways maybe I would not, although that seems hard to believe, considering how I feel as a new first time grandparent. But as time goes by I'm sure that it is possible to even take this grand parenting event for granted.
Let me respectfully remind you,
    life and death are of supreme importance.
Time swiftly passes by, 
    and opportunity is lost.
Let us awaken, 
    awaken.
Take heed, 
    do not squander your life.

So what do we end up awakening to? 
Well, I think one of the things we wake up to is the fact of impermanence! And that is growth.
I hope some of these kids can be reminded of that in this event they now have to experience. Not to the point of fear, even though this is fearful, especially for these young ones but to the point of "seeing" life more clearly!

I hope they have people who walk through this with them in a real way, feeling the pain, the anger, the fear, the doubt and all those other things that come with grief.

I hope someone will allow them to "live the questions" and not just provide the answers.

Life is "Just This"! This key stroke, this letter, this word, just this!

Pay Attention!  Wake Up!

bows,
Alan

1 comment:

Annotated Margins said...

Yes. Every breath we take is a matter of life and death. Each one in is new life; each one out may be our last. Death is very sad when it is only fifteen years old.