Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Myriad Things



To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening.

The Genjo Koan
Dogen

To say that I know this personally and can actualize it's meaning in my life would be a lie. To say that I thought of this text as I was reflecting on my new experience as a grandfather would be the truth.

These thoughts came to me as I was sharing with a friend about my new experience as a grandfather.
As important as all the questions are, even more important is to live the answers.
 Rilke in his Letters to a Young Poet said:
"Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer."
This experience may be my beginning to live my way into the answers.

And maybe you can live ALL the answers by simply doing what is right in front of you with great mindfulness, great compassion, integrity, love and a sincere desire to understand what is needed in this very moment that would benefit the other.

This has been the intention of my practice since arriving here on Saturday. Trying to do whatever is needed of me, trying not to pick and choose, to respond to whatever is given to me in the moment. What is presented in every moment is The Question. Responding with loving kindness and compassion is The Answer.

Do I do this perfectly? Of course not! But as I have written before, I perfectly intend to respond in the right way to what is needed.

The question and the answer is always right before us. The question is Just this. The answer is to respond to "Just this". And then to take the next breath.

My new Zazen.

Bows,

Alan

1 comment:

woodcutter said...

I like that quote, farming is a lot like that!