Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Monday, November 1, 2010

Relationship-Centered and Mindfulness

As some of you know, I am the chaplain for a private medical oncology practice. One of the messages we try to send to patients and their families is that we are a "relationship-centered practice". That is not a statement I take lightly. Being relationship-centered requires great effort. I don't know if the powers that be know that this statement about our practice is related to, if not the same as, the practice of "mindfulness".

Mindfulness requires that there be some form of practice that a person is involved in which teaches them the skill of staying center, being in the moment, being centered. Each person in our practice has the tool to practice this: The simple act of conscious breathing.

My wife and I are spending a week with the precious life pictured above. I am realizing how important "relationship-centered" is in this situation. I must practice mindfulness this week. I must be where I am and offer what is needed. This is the utmost relationship-centered kind of practice.

My life right now, this moment is JUST THIS. Of course it is always JUST THIS.

May her life go well and may I be mindful.

Trying to breath consciously,

Alan

1 comment:

Annotated Margins said...

No need for it to be anything more than just this. What a wonder to behold!