Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Simplicity and The Sacredness of Routine

Speaking of "routine", I normally post on Saturdays and Sundays here but because I am off this week spending time with my new granddaughter, I have been posting more.


As I have stated in earlier post, my wife and I came here this week to serve in whatever capacity was needed while these folks develop a practice with this new life, a routine, if you will, and of course, to bond with our new granddaughter.


It has been somewhat of a retreat experience for me and my wife. Don't get me wrong, it's busy! But the daily routines seem to offer a simplicity to life which allows one to feel the sacredness of it all.


I can't tell you the last time my wife and I spent a week just being in a regular daily routine around household chores. Lest I forget, it has not been the easiest thing for my wife. She has gotten up with the baby on occasions but otherwise, we have been here, doing what is needed. No bells, no whistles, no big attractions, no loud music, no super restaurants. Just this simple life, helping these two young people enter a new era in their lives.


The simplicity and routine (over-layed by the occasional complexity and chaos of a new born) has been another reminder to me about how life has so much to offer in it's nakedness. Just turn and be in your life in a simple way and see and taste that it is good, meaningful. This is not to deny all the possibilities of pain and suffering. But might this kind of living even have something to offer to those parts of our lives also?


The thread that has always run through my spiritual quilt has been "intimacy". And here again I recognize that thread in the midst of this week of simplicity and routine. And it is this "intimacy" that smells of the sacredness.


Deep Bows to Intimacy,


Alan


P.S.
Mother and Daughter still working on "routine", if you know what I mean.



2 comments:

Tim Koppenhaver said...

You said: "...life has so much to offer in it's nakedness. Just turn and be in your life in a simple way and see and taste that it is good, meaningful".

Nicely put!

TK

Tim Koppenhaver said...

You said: "...life has so much to offer in it's nakedness. Just turn and be in your life in a simple way and see and taste that it is good, meaningful".

Nicely put!

TK