Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Thin Places

I ran across this term for the first time today.

I got the following quote from an article by Sylvia Maddox. She offers the quote in her article. No, I don't know who Sylvia Maddox is, I just like the quote.


 There is a Celtic saying that heaven and earth are only three feet apart, but in the thin places that distance is even smaller.
Here again is this suggestion of "intimacy". I have long said that for me, experiencing a moment of intimacy, whether it be with another human being or some part of nature or just an object in my presence, is an experience of the "Holy". Now I have another word for that...


Thin Places...

But there is a sense for me that when we enter that thin place it should not be noted, it should not be labeled, it should simply be experienced. As soon as there is a word given, the experience is gone. Do you sense what I am getting at here?

If so, don't say a word!

Bows
Alan

No comments: