Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Transcendence and Rootedness

I'm reading Robert Jingen Gunn's

Journeys into Emptiness -  Dogen, Merton, Jung and the Quest for Transformation.

He states:
So the religious quest is a search for wholeness, for the manifestation of one's true self, and at the same time, for a rootedness in that which transcends the personal self.
pg. 40
This evokes for me a vertical image, stretching infinitely up but finitely down. I think that makes sense. It speaks to me about making the connection. You know that feeling when putting a puzzle together and the piece slips into the space just perfectly. It's a settling feeling.

As I think about this season, It's incarnated for me in having the kids and grandchildren home for Christmas.
That's a connection!
How does this speak to an experience of "emptiness"? Don't have a clue!

How does relate to the cello?
I don't know, just love that picture!

Welcome home Kids!

Love Daddy and Grampa

No comments: