Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Taking Practice too Seriously



I have my personal ritual before I begin my sitting each morning. Taking my shoes off before I enter the room, bowing before I enter the room, lighting my candle, lighting my incense, bowing again, walking slowly over to my cushion, bowing again, taking my seat on the zafu, adjusting my posture, setting my timer, ringing my bell, deep breath and then Zazen! All this creates an intimacy which I feel is important.

Did all that this morning and when it came to "taking my seat", I fell backwards on my zafu, flat on my back to the floor. 

I just laughed. Sometimes I take my self too seriously.

Nine bows to laughter! The Dharma is funny too!

Alan

1 comment:

Annotated Margins said...

Sometimes I get my legs so twisted while on the cushion that it takes me ten minutes to get up.

(I haven't forgotten that I promised you a rock.)