Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, May 7, 2011

CONSTANTLY LOOKING OUT





Surfing the web this morning and found this quote on the paintedpath.org. The quote is attributed to Rumi.

Don't go anywhere. I beg you; the Moon you are looking for is inside you. --Rumi


This quote reminded me again of how I have the tendency to keep looking outwards for whatever it is I am looking for.
I remember an experience I had at Borders book store several years ago. I was kneeling down in front of a shelf of books, lusting for one particular book. The thought came to my mind, "You won't find it in any of these books." I stood up and left the store.


 I could tell you that I fasted from reading for the next twelve or twenty-four months and began an intensive meditation routine and that I now levitate at will, walk on water and actually polished a stone into a mirror, but I won't.


I will tell you that I ordered a book by Rumi this morning and already have it on my kindle. I will tell you that I continue to struggle with disciplining my mind, my life, my practice, my everything.
I will tell you that I am an ordinary guy, looking for an ordinary mind.





Don't go anywhere. I beg you; the Moon you are looking for is inside you. --Rumi

Bows,
Alan

No comments: