Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Everything Belongs






"What is saving my life now is the conviction that there is no spiritual treasure to be found apart from the bodily experiences of human life on earth. My life depends on engaging the most ordinary physical activities with the most exquisite attention I can give them. My life depends on ignoring all touted distinctions between the secular and the sacred, the physical and the spiritual, the body and the soul. What is saving my life now is becoming more fully human, trusting that there is no way to God {INTIMACY} (MY WORD) apart from real life in the real world."From:An Alter in the Worldby Barbara Brown Taylor

I came across the above quote from here:    http://spiritualityandpractice.com/   I highly recommend the site. Universal offerings on spiritual practice.

I was struck immediately by the succinct way she summed up my own spiritual journey and how she has described for me, in that short little paragraph, what my zen practice has opened up for me.
I insert the word "intimacy" for God because "God" for me anymore is more of an experience than some "thing or person" I want to conceptualize. 
 Taylor points to this intimate experience  when she says:  
 My life depends on engaging the most ordinary physical activities with the most exquisite attention I can give them.

What a beautiful way to translate mindfulness: "Exquisite attention".


This practice is like a magnet that constantly draws all my metal back to the center, back to where I am right now, this moment, just this, trying to practice "exquisite attention" to what is before me.


 "There is no way to God (INTIMACY) apart from real life in the real world."



 As Richard Rohr has said,


EVERYTHING BELONGS!


No comments: