Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, June 12, 2011

TWO REASONS AND A TWO SIDED COIN


Up above are Alice on the left  (12 days old) and Caroline on the right (eight months), my granddaughters.

Two Reasons to practice!


I have been blogging to each of them since before they were born, sharing things about life, love and relationships and my own personal experiences with them.


They have expanded my heart in ways I could have never imagined but there is another side to this coin.


Not long after Caroline  was born I discovered the two sided coin of grand parenting.


The joy of receiving and the fear of losing.


Nothing happened to create this except the fact of my own awareness of the fragility of life.


Dukkha exponentially entered my life.


 Clinging, grasping,wanting to protect, wanting to control.


What great teachers these two little people are.


One heart expanded,
Love's precious gift to Grampa.
One heart contracted




Hands together,
Alan

2 comments:

Annotated Margins said...

Beautiful!

Glad you got your followers back. (Say... I still owe you a lava rock, don't I. The weather is clearing. I think I'll be headed to volcano country in the next few months.)

Carla Royal said...

Oh, Alan, I see what you mean! About the expanding and contracting. And yet, I suppose that is how the world evolves.

What beautiful girls!