Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Concentrated-Consecrated Life







CONCENTRATED VS SMALL

Continuing with my conversation with my son, he has raised my awareness about the shape of my life.

One of his questions, in our ongoing discussion was about “community” and my seemingly lack thereof…

His words are:
If life is about love and relationships, then tell me how your practice has drawn you into better community with others on your journey.  I'm not attacking here, I honestly want to know.  My observation has been that, rather, it has made you more "alone" (not lonely).  I don't think that's who you really are.

One of my longstanding mantras to my children is:

“Life is about love and relationships. You can have many “things” in this life but if you don’t have those, you don’t have a life.”

So you can see why he would ask the question he has asked.


I don’t have what I would call a large experience of community that is likeminded. But there are regional factors that create that shape of my life, 

but he is right, I don’t have an active connection to any other large form of community. But that shape is by choice. I really don’t need that. 

So this “alone” shape he sees is by design, for the most part.

This got me to thinking about small vs concentrated.

So is my life small?

No.

My life is concentrated.

This concentrated life gives me the opportunity to be in deeper, more intimate relationship with those who are closest to me.

Could I have a “bigger” life? Could I have a more active life? Sure!
But I don’t have the need for that bigger and more active life.

I like my concentrated life. It allows me to pay attention to what really matters.

And my kids know what that is.

A good friend of mind reminded me that Jesus had a concentrated life when it came to relationships.

I can't wait to break bread again with my family!

Bows,

Alan


No comments: