Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Greg Sitting Zazen

That's my Big Green Egg, affectionately known as "Greg". Now just to look at that baby sitting there like a mountain, you would think nothing is going on but there is a pork butt in there with some apple wood and hickory, all trying to become one.
He looks cool sitting there but the fact is this:



He's cooking between 275 and 285 constantly.


Zazen is like that for me sometimes. I'm just sitting, JUST THIS, and it really doesn't look like anything is going on, but even when I don't realize it, things are cooking and maybe one day all the ingredients will become one.


But the metaphor has been stretched too far.


Nothing has to become, only realized.




Greg has a goal. That sitting is changing something on the inside.


My sitting is just realizing what already is and then actualizing it.


But I will still eat the pork when it is done.


That way Greg's sitting will be actualized~


Bows ,


Alan

No comments: