Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Friday, November 25, 2011

ONLY FINGERS POINTING


This is a tricky post. 
Probably several ways to challenge this but I'm going to say it anyway.

All the Buddhisms, All the "isms", all the Catholics, Lutherans, Methodist, Baptists...all "ics", "ans" and "ists" are nothing more than fingers pointing at the moon.





No, I don't think that is a relativistic statement. At least what some would call Truth Relativism.


Relativism:
The doctrine that knowledge, truth and morality exist in relation to culture, society or historical context and are not absolute.
Webster's 


The term often refers to truth relativism, which is the doctrine that there are no absolute truths, i.e., that truth is always relative to some particular frame of reference, such as a language or a culture.
Wikipedia

I am saying there is an Absolute. I believe we can know It through experience. I believe we can try to put It into words but when we do we limit it.

I am saying this is why I can sit zazen and read Richard Rohr's book Hope Against Darkeness and embrace much of what he has to say with great pleasure, while at the same work on dropping body and mind.

I am saying I have faith!

I am also saying, "Read this book, it is significant!"


Bows,
Alan

















No comments: