Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, December 3, 2011





My practice has been different the past two weeks. There was a time when I would tell you that I have faltered these past two weeks, but to me anymore practice is to live, to live is to practice. How I live and practice changes at times.

Mostly these past two weeks I have been doing a lot of reading and a lot of thinking, more than sitting.
That has been the form of my practice.

I am amazed sometimes how I have been able to keep up the form of this practice. I have no sitting group, I have no one in this town to sit and  have a cup of tea (actually I prefer a good Pikes Place Coffee, tea just sounds zenny) with and share our thoughts about our practice. It's just me, the cyber world of Zen and my occasional contact with someone whom I consider my teacher, via the net.
I am a monk in the world.

So when my practice takes up a different form, I'm not too hard on myself. Just this. This is my practice.
It is form and formlessness, is it not?
So to say "this is my practice" would be to say that
"this is not my practice". And would that not be wrong?

What is before me is my practice and if my mind is one pointed maybe there is the possibility of recognizing my true nature.



 Conveying oneself toward all things to carry out practice/verification is delusion.  All things coming and carrying out practice/verification through the self is realization.
Genjokoan (Dogen)

I say all this to say: 

This morning I was reading "MU" again for the "who knows how many times" and the word that caught me was the simple word "have".

" does a dog "have" buddha nature?"

Is it about "having" or is it about "being"?

Those are my thoughts today.

MU! 

Monk In The World,
(from monos; single, alone)

Alan