Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, January 14, 2012



Unchained Melody and Zazen


I recently sent the below email to the person I consider my “in the flesh” teacher :

I have spent the last maybe month and a half reading some contemplative understandings about Christianity. One in particular that spoke to my journey was Without Buddha I Could Not Be A Christian. I was able to resonate with his (Paul Knitter) journey quite well.

But I'm beginning to see all my reading and all my seeking is nothing more than me asking the question, "Does a dog have Buddha nature?".
 In the Christian context my question would be 
"Is God a personal Being?"

In my zazen this morning I formulated this story:

A disciple came to Jesus and asked him, "Is God a personal being?" Jesus said, "Take a deep breath!"

Later in my zazen I realized that MU is the proper response to all my questions.

That seems to pretty much strip it down to just go and sit! What a great practice!



(I did not mention to him in this email that I also found myself singing “Unchained Melody” in my mind during this same session of zazen.)

Go figure!
Alan


No comments: