Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Friday, February 17, 2012

Seeing Our Not Seeing



James Finley, in The Contemplative Heart, speaks of “enlightened ignorance”. For me it speaks of a grace-full way to see ourselves in the struggle for “being present” with loving attention. A way of attending to our “non-attending” which brings us to the moment. I try to practice this all day, every day, as I intend to attend to this, as Mary Oliver would say, “one wild and precious life” I have been given.
Finley says:
“Becoming aware of how unaware we tend to be of the grace of the present moment, pausing to ponder our tendency not to pause and ponder, we enter into a state of what we might call enlightened ignorance. In unenlightened ignorance we do not know what we do not know. We go from project to project, from concern to concern, rarely, if ever, intentionally pausing to ask what it is that gives enduring value and meaning to our life prior to and beyond all our projects and concerns.”
Give it a go! 


Pay attention to your non-attending today. See if you can really "see" . 


There is a "coming home" feeling in the experience.


Bows,
Alan

1 comment:

Mystic Meandering said...

Alan, I just found your inspiring blog that utterly speaks to this Heart - words I needed to hear... Although I am not a "practicing Buddhist" I trust that the Heart always knows The Way, and Buddhist wisdom of course... I will definitely seek out a copy of The Contemplative Heart. With much gratitude... Christine