Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, July 7, 2012

David Whyte And Me


Self Portrait
By David Whyte


It doesn’t interest me if there is one God
or many gods.
I want to know if you belong or feel
abandoned.
If you know despair or can see it in others.
I want to know
If you are prepared to live in the world 
with its harsh need 
to change you. If you can look back 
with firm eyes
saying this is where I stand. I want to know
if you know
how to melt in that fierce heat of living
falling toward
the center of your longing. I want to know
if you are willing
to live, day by day, with the consequence of love
and the bitter
unwanted passion of your sure defeat.
I have heard in that fierce embrace,
even the gods speak of God     
      ©1992 Many Rivers Press
David Whyte





I Am
Pretending. No more.
Living so long!
Or is it living long enough?
Or is it spending so long not living?
No pretending.


Passion! Love!
The wonderful pain of feeling.
Pretending no more,
I AM!




By alan faulkner

2 comments:

David Ashton said...

Nice one. David Whyte us in good company.

Mystic Meandering said...

Beautiful! "...the fierce heat of living, falling toward the center of your longing..." I am willing! And love your poem as well. "...spending so long not living..." Now wanting to feel and experience it all! Yes!
Thank you!