Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Grandmother Mind

In my home I'm the one who is always reading about the spiritual life. I'm the one who tries to maintain my zazen practice in an honorable way. I'm the one always wanting to have deep discussions about life, about death, about what matters. I'm the one who loves to write about these matters on this blog. I'm the one who wants to know what it means to actualize this spiritual life, right now, in this moment.



Then there is Susan Moon:

Parents must worry about all the nuts and bolts of their children's care,
but grandmothers, says Susan Moon, can reflect on everything in the background---the water, air, stories, and love. It seems to me that this "grandmother mind" is exactly what the world needs more of.
taken from The Best Buddhist Writing 2008
Grandmother Mind by Susan Moon, pg.247

Then there is Eihei Dogen:
You can understand all of Buddhism, but you cannot go beyond your abilities and your intelligence unless you have robai-shin, grandmother mind, the mind of great compassion

Then there's my wife, Laurie, affectionately known as Lala by our granddaughters.

This afternoon she came home all excited about the blocks and books she had bought for our youngest granddaughter Alice.

I would have come home showing her some new book, new shirt, new pantS or something like that, which I had bought for myself.

ROBAI-SHIN

ACTUALIZED RIGHT IN FROM OF ME ALL THIS TIME

Maybe it's time to burn all my books and just watch my wife.



NINE BOWS TO MY WIFE, AND TO HER ROBAI-SHIN

ALAN