Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Thursday, October 11, 2012

FAMILY PRACTICE

I have been granted the privilege of spending the last three and half days parenting (as a grandparent) along with my wife, my oldest granddaughter Caroline, while my daughter and her husband presented us with a new arrival October 9. 
(Caroline and Lily)
Having to constantly pay attention to the needs of an almost two year old (Ocotober22) is quite instructional in the art of mindfulness.
It is also quite instructional in letting go of what I want to do.
When my first two granddaughters, Caroline and Alice,
(Caroline and Alice)
entered my life I called them heart expanders.
They revealed a part of me that was hidden and I am thankful for that.

What I have noticed over these past few days is how freeing it is to just let go and go with the current of this river called family.

What a wonderful life!

Nothing is permanent. I know this!

I will enjoy all these new flowers in my life and when the seasons change, I hope I can pay attention to that and respond to that change with a grateful heart and an enlightened mind.

They are all such a big part of my practice now.

Again,
Bows to these teachers,
Alan

p.s.
And to the other one on the way


No comments: