Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, November 11, 2012






From Mary Lou Kownacki's

BETWEEN TWO SOULS
Conversations with Ryokan

Priest Senkei, a true man of the Way!
He worked in silence----no extra words for him.
For thirty years he stayed in Kokusen's community.
He never did meditation, never read the sutras,
And never said a word about Buddhism,
Just worked for the good of all.
I saw him but did not really see him;
I met him but did not really meet him.
Ah, he is impossible to imitate.
Priest Senkei, a true man of the Way!

Ryokan

I read about a woman
Who chose cleaning
As her path
To enlightenment.

Rather than beads,
A toilet brush and broom,
From door to door
And train station, too,
Like a servant
Who had been given an example.

What if...
Instead of sitting with "om"
In my inner-city monastery
I asked my neighbor's permission
And cleaned the sidewalks
Each morning, raking
Leaves, sweeping litter.
Only one block...
One block at a time.

Mary Lou Kownacki

No comments: