Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, August 18, 2013

PILGRIMAGE


PILGRIMAGE



There's the old zen story about "not knowing". It's one of my favorite stories out there in the zen world. 
As I think about my lack of postings on this blog these past several months, I wonder if I have reached a"not knowing" place in this journey? I wonder if maybe this ordinary guy is just learning how to be just this ordinary guy?

My spirit is tired of looking in this place, looking in that place, hoping to uncover "it".

I just want to sit down.

I'm tired of all the debates.

I'm tired of all the arguments about "it".
I found this quote from Gil Fronsdal that speaks to this a bit:


As a Buddhist practice, not-knowing leads to more than an intimacy and open mind. It can be used as a sword to cut through all the ways that the mind clings. If we can wield this sword until the mind lets go of itself and finally knows ultimate freedom, then-not knowing has served its ultimate purpose.
Gil Fronsdal

Here's the story I was speaking about:

  1. Dizang asked Fayan, "Where are you going?" Fayan said, "Around on pilgrimage."
    Dizang asked, "What is the purpose of pilgrimage?" Fayan said, "Don't know."

    Dizang said, "Not knowing is most intimate.


    A Pilgrimage is different than a journey. A pilgrimage is sacred. This life we lead is sacred. We have been given this body to manifest this sacredness. We are pilgrims! We are just ordinary pilgrims. What a gift we have been given. 
    May we celebrate it!

    Bows,
    Alan



1 comment:

Mystic Meandering said...

I find myself tired of the "search" as well, as "seeking" tends to keep one in the externals of life, seeking for what's "missing", the "unknown it" "out there" in "people knowledge;" looking to the externals of life to fill that hole. Lately I've been feeling the need for "sabbatical" which feels the same as your "pilgrimage' - a stopping, and becoming still, and listening inwardly, spending more time in contemplative Silence, where the external searching stops. Turning to the deep well of Silence within, where the "knowing" abides, without *needing* to know. It's all just there in the Sacred Silence that is always already there, in the Quiet of the Heart, in the ordinariness of life.

Good to see you posting again! :)

Bows - Christine