Monk In The World

To be a monk is to have time to practice for your transformation and healing. And after that to help with the transformation and healing of other people.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Sunday, December 6, 2015

REMOVING THE CLUTTER AT 66, ON THE FEAST DAY OF ST. NICHOLAS





It is the feast day of St. Nicholas and my sixty-sixth birthday.

Nicholas, who was born during the third century in the village of Patara. At the time the area was Greek and is now on the southern coast of Turkey. His wealthy parents, who raised him to be a devout Christian, died in an epidemic while Nicholas was still young. Obeying Jesus' words to "sell what you own and give the money to the poor," Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships.(source: The Saint Nicholas Center)

My wife is out of town at my daughter's baby shower, so I have the house all to myself.

I have decided to declare this a day of silence and reflection.

I spent the morning cleaning and rearranging my sacred space. In the process I realized how symbolic this was to my life at this time.



I am making a major transition in my life as of January 1, 2016.

I will be working part-time, opening more space in my life for other things that matter, removing the clutter of full-time work.

I am trying to have no expectations of what will unfold in this space of grace coming my way.

Everyone keeps asking me, "What will you DO with that time?"
I don't see this as a time to DO.

I see this as an opportunity to BE.

I have mentioned in another post that I see this transition as a spiritual matter.

I sense the great Mystery offering me something in this transition and I am trying to pay attention to what that might mean or be.
It may just be life.

And so this Advent season for me feels pregnant with possibilities.

May it be so.

Alan






No comments: